Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Wednesday, 23 April 2008
We didn't really plan to start a small home based business.

A year ago I bought some dyes and blanks to make some clothing for my daughter (very first shirt pictured). I needed some spring/summer stuff that would fit over her cloth diapers and I was feeling like I had the first free time since her birth to do something creative again.
And I had a few revelations once I got started.

First of all, I found out that professional dyes make a world of difference over my camp days with Tintex for tie dyeing LOL Secondly, I found that my mediocre painting ability on wood and other materials was actually much finer on fabric (wow!). And thirdly, it felt great to be doing something creative again.

I had recently heard of Etsy and on a complete whim, decided to open a shop for a few playsilks and shirts to see what happened~ hoping to sell a bit to raise some funds for our adoption then in progress. Things sold, I got hooked!

In the year since, we have experimented and expanded our business as I have honed and developed my skills and learned some new ones, too (online marketing, felting, graphic design...). We have grown beyond Etsy to our own website, a congo on Hyena Cart and an HC shop.

What started out as a need and then a whim has grown to be a part of our lives!

Our adoption plans changed and are on hold for now, and our daughter has been out of cloth diapers, ironically, since the business took off~ we couldn't keep up with diapers and dye in the machine! LOL

To celebrate our one year since falling into business we are having a week long bash at our Hyena Cart from May 29 - June 4. Lots of guest artists, giveaways, contests and fresh items every day for a week!

6 comments:

Aly The Red-Bliss Monkey Studio said...

it's lovely to hear your story!

Helen said...

How nice. What a start!

Distressing Delilah said...

What a great and inspirational post!

artsyclay said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Love your colorful creations!

lori said...

that beats the heck out of my first dye attempt!

Mama Stone said...

I loved reading more in depth about the beginnings of your business! It's always great to learn more about awesome wahps :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY