Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Friday, 11 July 2008
I signed up last night to participate in a 'Day in the Life' swap~ meaning I send some little items and gifts to another mama, all drawn from a day in our life. So in order to inspire myself I thought I would join in the DITL trend and do one! Holy cow, this took forever! Click on any photo to see a larger version.

Today is Friday, I am off work and generally spend Fridays with Rowan and not on housework etc.
I am a firm believer (if not always a practicer) of Sabbath time.

#1~ wake up slowly (starting at 5:40 am with Rowan). She plays about, allowing us another hour or so of peace before we become her playground as she jumps, slides and otherwise abuses us. Being Friday we roll out of bed at 8:30. Andy goes to work. I skip my shower (see #3) to feed the hungry inmate and get moving. I am met by the mess from supper last night (mild in comparison with many mornings~ it gets left as Ro goes to bed right after supper and we go out to work or get to work on things at home).

#2~ Rowan feeds all of her animals (this is new today). She eats her mix (bad mother!) of applesauce and baby cereal~ we just got home from camp, no groceries for her usual fresh smoothie. I have nothing, though I meant to eat.

#3~ Me. Sans shower. Need a haircut SO badly. But wearing pretty new earrings from Etsy!

#4~ George & Gracie, my big mistake. I fell in love with them, but they are SO messy. And I never liked birds. I like Gracie fine (the darker canary). George is a pain, but he sure can sing. They get fed, fresh water, and a fresh bath. I hope Andy fed Briar, the dog, and let*him* out.

#5~ Rowan is busy feeding her animals something she calls 'sick milk'. Time to package up sold orders for mailing. I try to mail out 2-3 times a week. I keep everything in our back/ dining room.

#6~ Enforced modeling session. Today I told Rowan a story about two sisters named Bella and Smella who wanted to see a picture of their new skirts on a dog (since she, Rowan is not a girl, but a dog). She agreed only once she ascertained that Bella and Smella were also girl dogs.

#7~ I can't even look. We got home from camp last night and need to do laundry and put everything away. But this is Sabbath time. Close my eyes and run away!

#8~ We run away. We packed all our stuff in the wagon and hit the trail. Notice the dog looking sadly out the window. He does this ALL day long, every day. My nice new garden, but uncut complaining ~ it is not a commercial lawn. And the big ol' pickup trucks on the empty lot next door. Our local dealer has borrowed the lot and apparently the townsfolk are lot. We don't like it either~ the things keep breeding at odd hours. 6 pm, 6 trucks. 10 pm, oops! 7 trucks! But then these absent neighbours are not exactly neighbourly, but that is another story.

#9 & #10~ with lunch at the local greasy spoon on the odd Heading downtown. Our Friday morning routine has evolved into coffee (only day I drink it), park, post office, deli and 'honey store', occasion. I would have taken closer pictures but people would look at me funny. Puppy and Rowan walk. I get a (mmmmm) Maple coffee and we have a nice chat with folks outside the coffee shop, make plans to meet at the beach later.

#11, 12, 13~ At the Park~ I chat up a tourist and his three kids while Rowan gets her park mojo going on the monkey bars. We get a nice close look at the duck family (10 ducklings!) that hangs out on our shore some days and Rowan enjoys a good swing. Life *is* good. We have a lovely, friendly little town and the health and good sense to get out and enjoy it today. We too often take it for granted.

#14~ To the post office. Always a chore. 'Nuff said. I got a pretty new bracelet in the mail, though! And some roving. Rowan fed the resident octopi their usual diet of foam peanuts while I mailed my parcels.

#15~ To the deli~ Rowan wants bologna for lunch. Apparently with ketchup. Blech. We wait in the usual long line (great deli!) for our bologna (and her requisite free piece). We then pop into the 'honey store' as Ro calls it, next door (the bulk store) and pick up some 'crunchy gummy bears' for the beach. I am such a good mom, I usually only let Rowan have a few (sugar and dye and all) but end up eating the rest ~ how self-sacrificing!

#16 & 18~ Bologna sandwich~ I talked her out of the ketchup. And yes, I do cut her sandwiches in shapes, it is not just for this journal! As we have no food in the house aside from the bologna and the smushed bread I made it on, that is it for lunch (she'll fill up on gummy bears later bwahahaha). Briar sticks close by in case something falls. Rowan enjoys her orange cup and straw. Her idea. Because (all together now) 'orange is my favourite colour'. How gross does that bologna look on the palate?! Sorry!

#17~ My new pretty! Silk and sterling, colour and texture. I adore it.

#19~ (I am out of order, just in case you are keeping track!) I get the kitchen tidied while Rowan eats, I'll eat while she naps. I'll take something up to the computer with me. Tomorrow is real cleaning day.

#20 & 21~ While I try and convince my squalling toddler she needs a nap (ok, I need her to nap to keep us both sane), the dog decides to try to drink from the orange straw in the orange cup. You can see how well that went over (all over the floor). And when I finally get Rowan heading upstairs she knocks the quilt from the wall in her pique. I notice all the dog hair on the black backing. Ick. Hang it up again and hide it.

#22~ Rowan sleeps for about 2 hours (yay! yay!) while I begin this post and do some online business work. I wake her at 3 for the beach~ at first she grumbles about being wakened, and then 'beach' pierces the haze.

#23~ we slap on suits and sunscreen and head out the door, only to discover we don't have a vehicle (I forgot), so we pile everything in the wagon and hit the pavement, passing our church (my job) along the way.

#24~ It is a GORGEOUS summer day, low 20s (celsius, of course!), bright sun, clear air. I snapped this picture on our way to the beach (at a neighbour's home~ our waterfront is natural, so we beach elsewhere, there is no shortage!). Rowan is riding, reluctantly, because I didn't want to move at a toddler-in-flip-flops pace.

#25 & 26~ Grumpy Puss is talked into making a sand castle with me. This home is so lovely! The family has 6 adult kids, 4 live locally, and built their retirement home to accommodate all their family. A warm, boisterous, busy bunch. It is so good for only child Rowan to go and hang with the kids! The adults gag on the gummy bears (all covered in crunchy pellets of some sugary kind).

#27~ Our host tells me 3 & 5 are the water fear stages and Rowan has it big time. Much reassurance and a very helpful kid coax a smile out of her in the water. I love to swim and Rowan was a total frog as a baby, so I am just baffled by this and I know I need to back off with her.

#28 & 29~ It is getting late but it is too nice to go home! Rowan is busy with the girls on the playground equipment, but the time has come to round her up.... she isn't happy about it as this unwilling picture with me shows! We hose off and head home, stopping to visit with other neighbour's on the way~ realizing Andy has no idea where we are and it is bedtime ( 6ish).

#30~ Apparently Andy amused himself playing with bubbles while we were gone?! Before setting into car repairs. Also apparently the dog had *not* been out int he morning as we found out upon entering the house ~ cowering dog, pile of , well, you know.

#31~ A quick shower, a fight into a nightgown (are you sensing a theme today? Is this the last kick at the terrible twos this week?!) and Rowan eats cold noodles. Yep. She wanted 'em cold. I have a guilty moment over no shared meals today, but get over it when I reflect on our day!

#32 & 33~ after dinner (which ended up being bologna and a slice of soy cheese~ so nutritionally sound, huh? balance over time, balance over time, my friends! We don't fight over food, Lord knows I have enough food issues and I refuse to pass them on if I can help it) Rowan makes 'Puppy' some food with Daddy, gets her sleep juice (melatonin~ ask me about sleep issues before you judge~ I always swore I'd never be a benadryl parent, well... we have sleep juice) and heads up, reluctantly, to bed~ taking Pup's food dish to bed with her. While they play I contemplate my fiber drawers and the need to clean them out. I pull out a few unfinished projects and resolve to work on them tonight.

#34~ Oi. Chinese Food for supper. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Andy had to go out and peel potatoes for the church supper tomorrow night. Picked it up on the way home. Now I feel rotten. Spent the evening watching 'Awake'. Meh. Gimmicky.

#35~ One of my unfinished felting projects was this black bird. I had a vision. I am actually happy with it, even if Andy says it looks like a fishing lure. We then had a long and inane conversation about fishing for ducks, predicated, by me, on the fact that I saw a duck eat a live mouse whole, once. And with that, I am checking email etc. brushing my teeth, tucking Rowan in again, drinking my bedtime coffee~ I said I don't drink it, I don't, this is medicinal, for a weird migraine I get over night~ the neuro said coffee or lithium. She also said only men over 70 get this particular class of headache, I am a medical marvel (or freak)~ and off to bed (where I have to kick the dog off onto the floor).

If you lasted this long, God bless you! At first this seemed like fun. Around noon I was feeling philosophical and by now, I just feel a little stiff in the neck from all this navel gazing, and tired. Interesting exercise, regardless (for me, at least!)!

5 comments:

Jo said...

I need to think about doing something like this on my blog. Thank you for sharing your DITL with us. :)

Hugz,
Jo aka MomOfHeathens at Mama Drama

SewMuchDetail said...

Nice blog and your little girl is adorable. I wish I lived near the beach:)

girlsavage said...

Oh my gosh, What a busy day!
Rowan is terrific!

Shell Mitchell said...

I love that you cut sandwiches into fun shapes!

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Wow what a day.I am tired and impressed...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY