Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Thursday, 5 March 2009
The seam on her socks makes her toes 'fligged'.
She has a brilliant imagination and impressive vocabulary ~ at home~ in the world she is quiet and hides behind her imaginary world of characters.
A regular routine, meals, sleep are a must.
Tears flow for movie animals, strangers and simple things that touch her heart.
Movies are generally scary and books have that potential~ I screen for content and even then get surprised.
Making a decision, heaven help us.

Sometimes I hear my mother's voice (and the thoughts of those like-minded!), that we are too soft, she needs a good spanking.
Sometimes I worry about this amazing, ethereal, hilarious child who seems to shut down at odd times or withdraw unexpectedly.
Sometimes I think I am going crazy with this easygoing child who goes through spates of extremely controlling behaviour.

How much is normal kid stuff? How much is being 3? I was so relieved when someone pointed me in the direction of The Highly Sensitive Child~ reading the jacket alone, I was like 'THAT is my kid!'. Now I am not quick to label, nor do I want to do so, but with school approaching and trying to imagine how this kid who is eager to go is going to manage when the teacher reads a book with her scary animal of the moment in it, or what happens when she shuts down, covers her ears and hides because her drawing of the number two has been corrected from 'the way *I* do my twos'.

So, I have the book, along with Raising You Spirit Child for good measure and have started reading in hopes of what is promised~ some skills to help a sensitive kid be healthy, strong and keep her delightful, sensitive spirit intact.

I'd love to hear from other parents of sensitive kids or be directed to resources!

7 comments:

Marci Simonini said...

My 3 year old son is very sensitive and emotional, he spends a lot his time crying because his feeling have been hurt or he thinks someone is mad at him. I don't know how he will ever be ready for school in the fall, how he will ever be ready to go out into the world without mamma's legs to hide behind!

lowellandson said...

Well, one way or the other they all make it through. My 11 year old is a sensitive child and I was also worried about school. To prepare him I enrolled him in a co-op preschool where I was required to work a certain amount of time with all the kids. He would tear up on the days I had to leave him there but always came around after I was gone. Kindergarten was a snap, he hopped on the bus and didn't look back. I remember being quite sensitive myself. I would come home crying because someone was mean to me. I toughened up eventually :-)

One thing I remember about his behavior as a 3 and 4 year old is that he would have random weeks where he would be the most horrendous child ever and then he would go back to normal. They always say terrible twos but it was terrible threes and fours. Five is a super fun age.

angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angela said...

I'm an introverted person who only recently discovered it. I wish my parents had this book when they were dealing with my sensitivities: The Hidden Gifts of the Introverted Child: Helping Your Child Thrive in an Extroverted World

Laura said...

My son was super sensitive. He is 17 now and I miss the sensitive kid. When he was small another person crying would break his heart. He never killed bugs or hit other children. Kindergarten was ok we talked about it a lot and got him somewhat excited to go. He went to afternoon class's and I used to bring him and his lunch to school every day. We would eat lunch before I left. I think the "Grandma type" teacher helped a lot.
Now at 17 I only get glimpses of that kid. But it is enough for me. I know that special caring moody creative child is still in there he has just adjusted to fit in because it is easier.

Lori said...

Thank you all for sharing your experiences! Glad to know there are others out there~ always makes it a little easier when the going gets tough!

ducky said...

My son was very much like your daughter. I was told by relatives and preschool teachers that he needed to be "toughened up". How could I try to purposefully change who he was? He was so sweet thoughtful, brilliant, and yes,sensitive and very picky about his socks! We decided to homeschool him and have been so happy with that decision. He has been able to grow and learn at his own pace....and at 15 is volunteering to be a camp counselor and mentoring younger students in robotics. He has come in to his own, and is one of the nicest teenaged boys you'd ever meet!(from my biased viewpoint lol!)
How lucky your daughter is to have a mom who understands and respects her!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY