Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Wednesday, 17 March 2010
For many of us grown up types, we grow uneasily into an identity as 'artist' thanks to our lifelong certainty that we are no such thing. I still rest easier in being an 'artisan' than an artist, somehow. And yet, I *feel* like an artist~ that pulsing creativity, that rhythm that drives the need to make things with my hands and to play in texture and colour and fiber... isn't that how artists feel?

Maybe I should ask my daughter.

While shopping for a few items in an art store to help with our art space (more about that in another post to come), Rowan picked up a miniature wooden bendy guy (the kind used for modelling drawing figures~ I have a large pair for fiber sculpting).

I told her we weren't buying one. The lady at the store meant it kindly and helpfully, but she told Rowan "oh no, those are for artists, dear."

To which my amazing, self-assured daughter (age 4.5) replied: I am an artist.

Rowan placed the figure on the counter and we bought it and brought it home. I figure $4.99 was not nearly enough to pay for the moment when my daughter could stand and claim her creative self.

She is an artist. And a teacher.


rubywill said...

what a lovley positive moment

Jen said...

Picasso said "every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up". Your child sounds empowered, which is so wonderful. I only wish the lady at the store had been more open to the artist in every child. ~ Beautiful story.

Julie said...

Yay for her!

BumbleVee said...

Good for her.... standing her ground. And what a small price to pay for her to have a bit of fun ...cheaper than dolls....

Kristy said...

That's awesome! And chances are that little wooden doll will remain a treasured symbol for both of you for life. Affirmation and encouragement for her individual creativity!

Knecht Ruprecht said...

That is a great story!

cypress said...

Yes, yes, yes! I am so moved by this account. Special child, special mama.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY