Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Friday, 14 May 2010
MMMMM.
OK, maybe that is pushing it a little (for me).
But fresh fiddleheads are good, and good for you!
'Tis the season and we have enjoyed fiddleheads at dinner for a few nights this week~ boiled with a splash of vinegar and a little salt and pepper.  Ever since first encountering them in Northern New Brunswick as an ordinand (lo, those many years ago) fiddleheads have been a welcome sign of spring (along with the asparagus so popular in my Southern Ontario home region).  To my delight, Rowan loved them and asked for more, which is more than I can say for any other veggie!

On a trip home from New Brunswick I brought fiddleheads with me (and I can proudly say that I indeed passed by the World's Largest Fiddleheads many times and had my photo taken with them, gosh I love 'big things' like this, but that is another post!).  My sister Jennifer, ever suspicious, refused to eat them because she was sure they were crabs. Or involved crabs, somehow.  So little trust in her big sister, you would think I had made her eat bad things in past? No crabs, I promise, but fiddleheads do contain the following:
Three ounces of fiddleheads supplies 71% of the recommended daily dietary allowance of vitamin A, 46% of vitamin C, 25% of Niacin and 13% of Riboflavin, as well as at least 10% of magnesium, phosphorus and iron plus other nutrients and trace elements. Low in sodium yet high in potassium, Fiddleheads are a good source of fibre.  
So, if you have the chance to snag some this spring, do it and enjoy!

1 comments:

Margo B said...

We just enjoyed our first fiddleheads of the season last night and hopefully there will be more - simply boiled and served with butter so yummy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY