Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Monday, 3 May 2010
This week, I am featuring some fabulous finds that celebrate the mother-child bond.
"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity. It dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."                    ~Agatha Christie
When Rowan was 3 we visited a nearby wildlife rescue center. The facility has a bear, rescued from being a 'pet' which is housed with her similarly rescued companion, a cougar.  As we watched the two in their habitat, Rowan meandered along the (double) fence picking grass and pretty weeds.  At some point in her bobbing and chattering, she caught the cougar's eye.  Still enough of a wild animal (and, as I found out later, raised with children) to feel a chord struck by such goings-on, she uncurled herself and began to slowly stalk along the fence line. When Rowan noticed her feline shadow, she turned happily and sang out 'Come here Cou-gar! Come and eat Lee-aves!".

I swear if that cougar could talk... as it was there was a flash in her eyes, just the briefest moment of memory or hunger, before she sidled along the fence, playfully, and glided away.  And in that moment, what rose up in me was PRIMAL. I knew, without a doubt, that  if that cougar could somehow pose any threat to my child, she would have to get through me, and I would tear her apart with my teeth. It was shocking and shaking, but also right. Appropriate. Natural.

So here's to all the fierce mamas.

From Toronto based artist, Zuzuk, We Are Strong
From Vermont Fairies, a vigilant mama bird tending her nest:
i ♥ hedgehogs. I really do.  How sweet is this prickly-when-she-needs-to-be mama and her babes from livingwithart?
I love the look on this mama's face... don't mess with her lamb!  from artist HamjArt:
And I had to include this shirt, since it is one of my favourite designs! from Daydream Believers:


Jessica said...

I love the tee, as this quote is what I posted on my blog when I announced I had been diagnosed w/ breast cancer.

I am now a survivor; I should buy this tee as a gift to myself! :)

Great post--I totally *get* it.

Lori said...

Yay!! For you! What better reason to kick cancer's butt!

Kristy said...

Awesome post! LOVE that T! (sending it to hubby right now as a sweet reminder as to what Sunday is!) ;)

Rae said...

This post gave me shivers! I *know* that feeling... and it's POWERFUL!

Lori said...

Isn't it? It is humbling and empowering to know we have that in us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY