Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Friday, 17 September 2010
Last fall, Rowan and I went for a walk in the woods.  As we live in northern Ontario, these are serious woods!  We were hunting for acorns and we took  a known trail that leads to a gorgeous vista.  On our walk we heard something in the woods, likely a deer, but it was big and loud and Rowan was already nervous.

She asked me what would happen if we met a bear.

It was, of course, a possibility.

So I told her that if we met a black bear, she was to get behind me and stay there while I acted big and scary.  She asked what would happen if it was a mama bear (with a cub) who was mad.
I assured her that I could handle a mama bear.
She looked at me, and said very seriously, "I know you can Mommy, but I think the mama bear could handle me."
And my heart cracked a little.

There are times we cannot protect our children, when they have to face their own mama bears.
My daughter has had such an experience (at school).
And now , I have placed her behind me so that I can handle it.
So for the next little while I would appreciate any and all good thougths and prayers for strength
while I keep her close and become the mama bear for my brave little cub.
"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stand in its path" ~ Agatha Christie


Kristy said...

Thinking of you during this "mama bear" time....I so understand! And your amazing adoration and beautiful mothering of your child are evident all over your writings and work!!! Hope it resolves better than you can imagine. :)

Yarn Miracle said...

I'll be thinking of both of you.

When Ellie was brand new, I spent several months trying not maul everyone who touched her. Looking back (and knowing myself as I do), I should have seen the Mama Bear in me coming. But it caught me completely by surprise at the time. It's better now that she's walking and talking and can say NO, but I know Mama Bear is still in there for when I need her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY