Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Tuesday, 22 February 2011
I love it when a plan comes together.
(please don't be mislead into thinking I am an A Team fan (see the 'Not-Dead Roommate' story for reference).
But I have been wanting to make Fairy Doors for a couple of years,and I finally got my act (and supplies) together, bent Andy's arm enough to get him to cut for me, and did it!
I simply love the idea of Fairy Doors~ portals for the wee folk to come and go in our world. And more than the idea of them, I love the delight they bring to a child whose imagination can fill the world behind these little doors with magic and wonder. 
 Placed any where you like (they are 1" thick and stand on their own), the door becomes a way for the fey folk to enter your home (bringing good luck, they say). Of course, they can only be opened by magic beings!
 You can encourage fairies (never command them!) to visit with gifts of sweets or sparkly bits.  If you need a little extra help, I love this little poem from Lady Cottington's Book of Pressed Flower Fairies:
Sit where the cat sits.
Cross your toes.
Close your eyes.
And smell a rose.

Then say under your breath:
"I believe in Fairies, sure as death.
Gadflykins! Gladtrypins!
Gutterpuss and Cass!
Come to me fairily
Each lad and lass!"

Rowan Tree Fairy Doors are made with locally sourced, sustainably harvested pine (Northern Ontario) and hand burned and painted (non-toxic, ap certified). Each one is one of a kind and sealed with our own beeswax wood polish for a safe and natural glow and light protection. Find them in the  'Wood Toys' section of the Etsy shop.

The idea of the fairy door bloomed in Ann Arbor with the Urban Fairy House Project a number of years ago.

4 comments:

Amanda & Joel said...

Oh those are so lovely! I think I need one.

Shannon said...

Love, love, love them. i have been coveting something like this (tho in my mind it was not so bold and beautifully coloured) for a year or so now - i thought it might sit nicely and the bottom of the big tree out the front, among the ferns. If I was a fairy that is where i would live.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Amazing! Such gorgeous, bright colors and creative designs!

Ann
Harvest Moon by Hand

Regina said...

(hopping over from Kleas) These are amazing!! I love little doors and the colors are fantastic~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY