Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Saturday, 23 April 2011
I have seen this kicking around on various blogs and since I am feeling revelatory tonight, I thought I would share 7 confessions of my own.

{{1}} I used to have a registered goat herd. Pygmy goats~ I adored them.  And I would love to have goats (and sheep!) now. And a horse, which I would never ride, thanks to a back fracturing accident at 16~ I still love them, but have no desire to ride on anything with a brain!~ I think I could happily live a pioneer life, off the grid somewhere here in the north.  My husband, however, could not. Impasse.
{{2}} Sticky freaks me out.  I can do slimy, muddy, dirty, dusty... pretty much any kind of unclean you can name... anything but sticky.  As a toddler, all I had to say to my daughter was "How does Mommy feel about sticky?" and she would parrot back "She doesn't like it!". I can do sticky, like glue during crafting, when I know I can go wash it off. But a kid with sticky maple syrup fingers touching me and leaving stickiness. Eek.

{{3}} My escapist film genre? It is a toss up between historical period dramas (I read Gone With the Wind in Grade 7 and  I was hooked) and teenage comedies (being a 'Sixteen Candles' and 'Breakfast Club' vintage girl), which, I sadly admit, I thoroughly enjoy when I want to just relax and get away. The last one I watched was 'Easy A'. Both classes of film which I must watch alone. Impasse, again.
{{4}} I have PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder) and no, it is not just bad PMS.  It is a mood disorder (recently classed as such), and while I likely have had it since my early twenties, it has only become an issue since having my daughter 5 years ago and flowing out of PPD (and one hopes it will disappear with menopause!). About 1/2 to 2/3 of every month is a struggle for me: anxiety, depression, physcial pain... mitigated by antidepressants, but some times are worse than others.  It has been a real personal struggle to accept this for what it is and to maintain healthy and open relationships when there are days when all I want to do is disappear until it is over.  But it was put to me like this: if I had a bad leg, I may not be able to run 10 miles every day, but I could walk 5.  So when I can, I run ten, and when I can't , I try to be gentle with myself and enjoy the 5 I can walk.  Most people would (and will) never know this is an issue for me, because I keep it that way. On the other hand, I am not ashamed, I think I am a darn functional person despite the PMDD(!), and if sharing this connects with someone else, then it is worthwhile!

{{5}} I am an ordained minister (gosh, that can be harder to confess than the PMDD! given people's preconceived notions...) and have been practicing ministry for nearly 17 years with the United Church of Canada. I work full time, in addition to having my business (BTRT). And I would rather do a funeral any day over doing a wedding~ sounds twisted, I know, it isn't about enjoying death, but about being in a place where people really connect with one another and our human condition.

{{6}} I am hooked on Lucky Charms. Yep. The junk cereal I would never let my daughter eat.  It started on a camping trip last summer, when I realized that the world of  sweets from which I am cutoff due to a complete dairy intolerance (longstanding, protein issue) opens wide in the junk cereal aisle... so many sweet treats, just add soy milk! My dream line up would be Chocolate Lucky Charms, Corn Pops and Froot Loops.
{{7}} I have a huge pile of clean laundry in my basement (outside the dryer). My husband is supposed to fold it and bring it to me to put away. He never 'gets around to it' and I adamantly refuse to do it any more~ thereby defeating his 'if I leave it long enough she will just do it' strategy. I often wear unmatched socks as a result. Clearly, I am winning. (Impasse, anyone?)
There. 7 confessions from me.
How about you? Add your link to your confessions in the comments, please!
C'mon, it is good for the soul (I ought to know!). ♥♥

21 comments:

Jennifer M. said...

i loved reading your confessions! people are always much more than we see on the surface. i'll have to think of my 7 confessions...

jennifer

hexactinella at yahoo dot com

Vicky Bell said...

Lmao at your funeral confession! My best bud is a guy who is a retired minister- who still does funerals- and he ALWAYS said he'd rather do a funeral than a wedding- no one's listening at a wedding, they're all waiting to get to the party- but at a funeral you've got their attention. All good blessings to you- I enjoyed the post. (freshurbanvintage on Etsy)

Orangies Attic said...

I have the SAME issue with sticky! EWWW... never let my kids have condiments when they were little because it always meant sticky hands... ha!

Anonymous said...

I have been known to make a delicious plate of fruit for my kids to snack on and then fill my pocket with chocolate chips to eat when they aren't looking.

tiamcfarlane (at) hotmail.com

Cait said...

I am terrified of bridges. Unfortunately, I am surrounded by then, which makes going anywhere by myself difficult. Every single time we go over a bridge my husband (who has to drive) has to go over what I should do incase for some freak reason my car should decide to steer itself off of the bridge. I have turned down so many offers to go out with other because I'm too scared to drive over the bridges.

zieroth07 at mac dot com

Jennifer M. said...

Hmmm...just one confession? I hate spiders and insects. I'm a marine biologist and will touch anything that lives in a tidepool (as long as it's not dangerous): slimy, pokey, scaly, squirmy, wiggly, soft or spiky; but i just can't stand seeing a spider crawl along the wall for fear that it will drop into my hair, and i can't stand insects flying around for fear that they'll get in my ears. Yuck.

Oh, and a bonus one: I'm irrationally afraid of being lost and unable to get home. Which is silly because i do a lot of exploring and hiking and camping and boating. But I'm always glad to get back home!

hexactinella at yahoo dot com

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

You know how some people feel about fingernails on chalkboards? That doesn't bother me but I feel that way about certain words and sounds. Like the word "dollop" (eww - makes me cringe) or the sound of water pouring into a glass in an otherwise silent room. I don't know why but those drive me crazy.

erin.nicole.bartlett at gmail dot com

Dreaming Monet said...

let's see. i'm secretly worried about how i will possibly be able to love my second child (due in june) as much as my first. i understand that it is possible, that it will happen, but it seems so impossible that i could love TWO people like that. i am also secretly worried i will favor one child over the other, as when i was growing up i often felt my brother was the preferred child.

RhondaLavender said...

I'm a fainter. It happened the first time in high school when I picked up my cat from the vet. I didn't even see any blood, but I knew it was there and that was enough to send me down the wall. I've fainted often at the dr. Once after having stitches removed from behind my ear...actually fell on the doctor as I was making my follow-up appt. Everyone said once I had a child I wouldn't faint - wrong. At 2 years old she did a full run into a door frame and the purple egg popped out on her forehead more quickly than anything I'd ever seen. The only thing I knew to do was to nurse and have hubby call 911. I went horizontal as the parametics knocked at the door. (dh was fine. EMT said as long as it swells out it is ok. worry when you don't get an egg.)

I'm feeling woosy now just thinking about all the times I've fainted!

MamieCole said...

Awwww...I'm so sorry you have to deal w/PMDD. :( It's awesome you are speaking out about it, though. Just mentioning it could help someone else who might be struggling.

MamieCole said...

Ooops...I forgot to make a confession...

Here's two:
1. I love Imagination Movers music as much or more than my son. I even listen to it when I am in the car alone.

2. I am eating Munchos for breakfast right this very second. :)

Lori said...

Since my son was born in late July, I have watched almost the entire series of "grey's anatomy" via Netflix streaming (a show I once made fun of!)

Suzie said...

I hide chocolate in my underwear drawer. :)

Rachel said...

LOL, Mamie Cole, I LOVE Imagination Movers' songs too!

My confession is that I love live plants but ALWAYS kill them. I don't know what I do wrong, but plants hate me...

Amanda said...

I love Imagination Movers too!

I dislike flowers - as in, growing in my garden. I love seeing them bloom and I like getting cut flowers for my table from my husband and son, but I dislike growing them. Give me something to grow that gives me something back and we're good. I've just purchased 2 blueberry bushes for the front of my house because they'll flower and look pretty but I get something back from them.

slipknot=salvation said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessy said...

Okay..my confession is that I can't stand to see anyone touch their belly button..or any belly button for that matter - makes me nauseous! I nearly punched my husband in the face when he tried to touch mine!

I think that's enough to cover for today! =}

Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree said...

{winning comment for the Golden Ticket is Amanda ~ contact me via Facebook or info@beneaththerowantree.com}

Thank you all for sharing your confesions... I feel more normal LOL

My mom is the same about bridges~ she is sure she died on one in a past life! Iam like that with trains, the whistle just about slices me in half.

Deborah~ I hear you on the two child thing... a friend once told me it is like a candle flame, it can light another candle without dimming... there is just more light!

Karen said...

I HATE the sticky, too! Ewwww.... *shiver*

My confession...
I cold live on carbs alone. Fresh, homemade bread, pasta, anything with rice (especially Indian food), and chocolate. This is NOT helping me lose the weight after baby #7. It's only been... a year...

Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree said...

Oh man, if you have 7 kids, you *need* carbs. Just sayin'! ;) Mmm Indian food....

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY