Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Thursday, 9 June 2011
So. We have a print shop.
And things happen during printing (especially when I am at the printer)~ we have plenty of messed up tees.
And I have plenty of plans that involving making cool things from them.
I have gotten so far as to dye some of them.
And then I stalled.

But a recent blog post by vixenMade combined with my kid's need for something to wear to bed on summer nights and my cheapness given the shortness of our summer, has spurred me on!  Huzzah! (now where did that come from?!)

So here is my take on the Tshirt Nightgown...

Materials:
  • old, clean tshirts ~ I made 5/6T nighties with adult L/ XL tees
  • Scissors, and/or rotary cutter
  • straight pins
  • ruler & cutting board (optional)
I completed this project entirely with my serger, but it can be easily adapted for a sewing machine.


1) Find a nightgown or dress in the desired size (ie raid the closet!).
This will be your template, adjusting as needed.
Use tailor's chalk (ok, sidewalk chalk works, too!) to mark the cutting lines.
I chose a long tunic top and added length.
2) Cut out along your chalk lines, through both layers of the shirt.
For this nightgown, I chose to keep the original shoulder seam intact, along with the original collar, but depending on the shirt style and your child, this neck may be too wide..
For a narrower neck, cut into the collar as pictured below:
Now you have the body of your nightie:
3) Lay the cut out body on the removed sleeve as shown below, and cut out the flutter sleeve.
4) Matching right sides together and the tips of the sleeve pieces with the bottom of the sleeve hole, pin in place, stretching as needed to achieve a smooth seam and then sew.
If you are making the narrower neck, you are going to need to fit the sleeve into the neck to create the shoulder. It will look something like the picture below when finished...
And hopefully NOT like this... ooops!
5) Match, pin and sew up side seams. In both the larger and narrower necks, the sleeves should meet and be finished within the side seam at the base of the arm hole.

6) Finishing the hem.
You could leave it alone, it will roll a little and will not fray.
 You can create a lettuce edge with your serger by setting it to rolled hem and stretching out the fabric as you create the rolled hem.
  Or you could make a ruffle by gathering up a strip of tshirt (I used a finished bottom hem piece here, but any would do!), pinning to the bottom edge and attaching.
Other ideas: piece together various tshirt bits for a scrappy look; stamp or applique your tees, leave it sleeveless, make a narrower neck and notch it for ease of dressing (as above)...


Have fun, and we'd love to see your pictures
Also, do you have any other favourite tshirt tutorials? 
Link them up in the comments and inspire us all! ♥♥

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I absolutely love that little determined bird!

Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree said...

Thanks! The tee is actually from our line at www.daydreambelieverswear.com ;)

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

I think this is such a great idea!! Too bad I stink at sewing...booo :)

Thanks for the invite! Linked to your cute party!

Lina

Nicole said...

This is such a fun idea! It makes me wish I sewed! Plus, I really like the whole up-cycling thing, and it's good those t-shirts can be put to good use!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I love this! found you via Simple Kids.

We have that exact same H&M butterfly dress so I am all set!!

AllieMakes! said...

Cute! I love t-shirt refashions!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Robin said...

I absolutely love this idea! Genius and so very easy to do! I am going to go through my stash and we will be rocking some great T-shirt nighties!

Thank you for linking to upcycled Awesome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Sponsor :: Stoneware Pottery

Sponsor :: Handmade Women's Wear

Sponsor :: Handmade Jewelry

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY