Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Friday, 2 September 2011
I do not like mending (really, who does?).
But I love the idea of turning a gaping hole in a favourite pair of jeans into an adorable monster! 
monster, knee patch, mending jeans, jeans, mend, hole

My daughter loves to play in the sand.
her pants, however, don't enjoy the experience nearly as much!
Her favourite jeans are missing both knees.

I saw a great fix on Pinterest (the pinned post in dutch HERE) and snagged a little time to do it this morning.... Monster Knees!
Supplies:
◘ A scrap of fabric larger than the hole (allow 1/4-1/2" around it)~ denim, cotton, flannel
◘ Embroidery floss
◘ Needle
◘ Felt (wool is preferable to acrylic for durability), or other fabric scraps in white

1)  Cut Out your Pieces:
Trim your fabric scrap to fill the back of the hole, with an allowance of at least 1/4" beyond the tear.
Cut 'teeth' out of your white scrap, wide enough to fill the 'mouth' hole and as long or short as you prefer, you may need to do some dental work as you go along.
Cut out two roughly round eyes from the white fabric.
tutorial, mending, kids, pants, holes, monster, fun, simple, fast, no machine, jeans, patching

2) Sew on the Teeth:
Attach them to the mouth piece with a row of running stitches.

3) Fit the teeth into the mouth and stitch the mouth in place.
With small pants, it is tough to get your hand inside while stitching, you may find it easier to turn them inside out and do your best at making a rough oval around the hole, firmly securing the patch and making sure not to catch the teeth in the stitches.
 

4) Stitch the Eyes:
Have fun and be creative! Be sure that the eyes are well anchored~ they will get roughed up in the wash, but it will just add to the monster's charm.

As Rowan had both knees out, I simply patched the other knee with a felted wool sweater scrap~ overcast stitched with the embroidery floss.
Now, don't you want to do some mending?!
 ♥♥

11 comments:

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

OH MY GOODNESS! How cute! I have never seen anything like this! What a great way to hide a tear or hole in the knees! Such a clever and cute idea.

I would LOVE for you to link this up to my new diy fashion linky party called DIY Diva Thursdays. We need more fashion for kiddos linked up! :) We party until Monday...hope youll stop by ;)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

TLN said...

Love it! :) Shared it on my blog for others to discover.

http://creativityunmasked.blogspot.com/2011/09/six-for-saturday-or-sunday.html

PuppyLovePrincess said...

such a cute idea! LOVE it!

Ricochet said...

super cool! I'm "pinning" this!

Your newest follower,
Rikka J.
Ricochet and Away!

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

This is the coolest thing ever! Both my boys have holes in their favorite pair of jeans and this is just perfect! Thank you for the great idea!

Catherine said...

Very timely post! I was just trying to figure out some cute ideas for knee patches so I didn't have to trash some of my son's pants! :)

Marieke *By MiekK* said...

Nice to see I inspired you! This is the original blogpost (in Dutch) http://bymiek.blogspot.com/2010/10/dhz-monster-knie.html

Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree said...

Thanks everyone, and thanks Marieke! I saw it but didn't pin it and then I couldn't find it LOL, glad you found me for credit AND I can go pin it, too!!

Just Jaime said...

Fun idea!

Diana Grace said...

Hi , I love this cute idea too and I'm sharing it with my readers this saturday. I just stumbled on your blog. Very nice :)
Diana from
thecraftgroupplus.blogspot.com

Paige @ The Crunchy Mamacita said...

so cute! pinning it :)

Paige @ thecrunchymamacita.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Sponsor :: Bamboo Goodness

Sponsor :: Stoneware Pottery

Sponsor :: Handmade Women's Wear

Sponsor :: Handmade Jewelry

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!