Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Wednesday, 26 October 2011
I am working on it.

You may recall that we are working towards/ with an  ADD diagnosis for our 6 year old daughter.
And Grade One is proving to be a challenge.
While Rowan is loving the academic side and doing well, she is also feeling the strain of sitting at a desk all day and trying to stay focused through numerous shifts in subject and activity.

As a result, she is often close to a meltdown by the time she gets home from school.
The long day combined with her difficulty in eating in such a highly distracting environment do not leave her with much energy to cope by the end of the day.

And then we get to get up and do it all over again.

But we are working on it.
Lots of time, space and patience.
Some tools like egg timers and a stability ball.
And then some more patience.
Which has never been my strong suit.

Some days I feel defeated, I admit.
That my bright kid who can read astonishingly well, can't remember that we brush our teeth every day.
Or, that my empathetic child who has apologized to her friend for accidentally kicking her is now hiding and crying in the friend's closet, overcome by the upset of making her friend cry.

And while part of me is relieved:
know why these things roll out this way, now~
(as GI Joe taught us, "knowing is half the battle").
Another part of me is so sad that it has to be so difficult for my daughter.

But we laugh.
Often.
And we count our many blessings.
And we talk about it all.

One of the challenges for me was how to talk about this with Rowan.
But I did it, and will continue to do so.

Rowan now knows that she has a 'race car brain'.
It is wickedly fast and amazing and able to zoom about from one thing to another at astonishing speeds.
But to be a good race car driver, you have to slow down on the corners,and sometimes, take a leisurely drive through the country and enjoy the scenery.
And you always have to pay attention.
And make sure you fuel up.
It is a fun analogy that she feels good about.

Having a race car brain is pretty darn cool.
Just ask: Elvis Presley, Albert Einstein, Dustin Hoffman, Winston Churchill, John Lennon, Walt Disney, Mozart, Bill Cosby...  and on and on...

So I am learning to live into what is~ and to love a life that I hadn't expected.
(honestly, I should know better by now that things never turn out the way we expect them to, but rather the way they were meant to turn out!)
Adjusting to being a small family...
Accepting being that pain in the 'neck' parent, advocating for my child at school..
Learning what it means to be on the pit crew for a top notch race car....
Celebrating this amazing, different, bright, creative child who holds my heart.
And who is the life waiting for me.♥♥

5 comments:

Jamie said...

so beautiful. thanks for sharing your heart!

Crooked Moon Mama said...

LOvely perspetive. Your daughter chose you.
xo

Anonymous said...

Love your race car analogy - so positive. Your story takes me back to when my son was young. He'd come home from school and swing on the backyard swing as hard as he could, working off stress and energy. Sypmtoms very similar to ADD (tested by school) but turned out to be his vision. Regular eye exam will not pick up problem - need an evaluation by behavior opthamologist. Eye exercises did the trick. Best wishes to your daughter - she's lovely.

Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree said...

Thanks to all of you for reading and taking the time to comment, I really appreciate your kind words :)
I have heard so many stories about ears, eyes and other health issues appearing as ADHD!

It will be interesting to see how it goes with the paediatrician as I want to follow up on sleep issues in particular.

LolitaRose said...

I always enjoy reading your positive posts on taking the unexpected turns in life and turning them into something wonderful. I hope all continues to go well for your wonderful family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY