Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Sunday, 6 November 2011
Pretty trees for Christmas, or all year through...
Grab the kids, the scraps and the glue and dive in!

I first saw this craft on Pinterest (not hooked yet? come on over and see!) as a craft from the blog H is For Handmade.  What you see here is Amy's idea, with a few changes to make it kid friendly and a couple of extra touches, BTRT style.

You can make your trees as fancy, or as simple as you like.
Colourful? Coordinated? Classic?
You decide!


Notes:
Children as young as 2 will enjoy sticking on fabric with glue.
Give yourself about 90 minutes to prep, do the craft and clean up.
The children's portion of that time will be about 20-30 minutes, tops.

Supplies:
•  Fabric scraps, cut roughly 0.5" wide and 1.5" long
•  One small square scrap for a stump
•  Tacky fabric glue
•  Canvas board, cardboard or other stiff backing
•  Scissors or rotary cutter
•  Glitter paint or other background paint (optional)
•  Ruler & pencil
•  mod-podge or acrylic spray coating (optional)
•  Buttons or other embellishments (optional)~ and hot glue gun
•  Acrylic paint for border (optional)

One:  Cut your fabric scraps.
We used a 9 x 12 canvas board, and cut our strips to 0.5" x 1.5" (roughly).
We sorted them by colour into small bowls to keep them organized.

Two: Paint your background.
If you choose, paint your background.
I used a clear glitter paint for a subtle effect.

Three: Draw your tree template.
Using your pencil and ruler, create a triangle tree template on your canvas.
I left approx. 2" at the bottom, below the line, and 3" at the top, from the peak of the tree.

Four:  Begin to attach pieces to the tree.
Attach your stump first, and then work up the tree in levels.

Don't worry if your pieces are not exactly lined up with one another!
Turn the pieces slightly at the outer edges to create the triangular shape.

For young children~ make a line of glue and invite them to attach their pieces in a row.
 Five: Paint a border (optional).
In the original craft, the maker added a frame at this point.
We decided to leave ours frame-less, but to paint a border instead.
You could also make a border with ribbon, sequins etc.

Six: Seal the fabric.
As we chose to leave our trees without a frame/ glass, I sealed them with a generous coat of mod-podge to prevent the fabric from continuing to fray at the ends.
I don't have a picture of this step, so I thought I would share what i found in my  (crafting, not sewing to sell!) scrap box when I went to clean up....Hello Murray!


Seven: Embellish!
Keep it simple with a star on top...
Given the current craze for anything with buttons, we topped ours with buttons and added a few more buttons as tree decorations (using the hot glue gun).
 This is one of those crafts that are very satisfying for grownups and children... as the end result looks great whether you are 6 or 38 (as in this case!)~ Rowan's tree is in pink, and mine in blue.  She chose and attached all of her fabric and placed her buttons on her own. In the end, she was very proud and I think we will make a few more for teachers and friends this year.

 
Have fun♥♥

17 comments:

PuppyLovePrincess said...

LOVE this idea!

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Oh my goodness this is SOOOO cute! This would be adorable on a shirt!!! Love it!

Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree said...

Good idea!!
Glad you like it, have fun!!

Andrea @ Sew Divertimento said...

This is adorable!! I think I'm going to make one in purple and silver for my dining room! =) Thanks for sharing.

www.sewdivertimento.blogspot.com

Mindie Hilton said...

I love your tree, it is so cute. I am going to have to make one. I would love for you to strut your stuff at my weekly linky party, fri-mon come play.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/11/turkey-time-411-on-preparing-great.html

Nikki@EverythingUndertheMoon said...

These are so adorable!! I love the colors. So pretty ...and Im loving Murray ;) New follower. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-7_6572.html

Also, PRETTY PLEASE stop by and check out Random Acts of Kindness Week going on all next week!! I would love it if you could participate!! More info here:
http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/kindness-and-thanksgiving.html

Trish and Bonnie @ Uncommon said...

I have two sweet little girls and they would think this was the best thing ever! I can't wait to try it this year!

We are having a Home for the Holidays link party on our blog and I know that our readers would think this was as adorable as I do! We would love for you to join us!

http://www.uncommondesignsonline.com/2011/11/home-for-holidays-link-party_08.html

Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I will take a peek at all the links tonight!

(and thanks for the Murray love... he kind of grows on you!)

Marilyn said...

WOW, this is soo awesome and sweet..Really neat project.. I LOVE it.. So creative.. I'm stopping in to ask if you could please link and share it at my Pin'Inspirational party happening today please..? - http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/pininspirational-thursdays-linky-party_09.html Thanks so much.. Wishing you an amazing start to your weekend.. TY

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Great project I love the results!

Alida - Radcrafter said...

Great idea! I think the kiddos would love to make a couple of these as christmas gifts.

I'd love if you would consider sharing this at my Thingamajig Thursday party...http://radcrafter.com/2011/11/thingamajig-thursday-party-2/

Alida

Bronwyn - Queen B said...

This is so simple, yet absolutely gorgeous! i think I may try it with my daughter but use leftover scrapbook paper instead.

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

I think this tree is just beautiful and such a fun project for the kiddos. New follower here! I'd love for you to share if you get a chance. Thanks! http://www.momontimeout.com/2011/11/taking-timeout-thursday-no-4.html

Venassa said...

They are both gorgeous! I love this idea.

vb-creations.blogspot.com

Maggie said...

This is a fabulous idea to do with kids this holiday,Would luv for my readers to see this awesome idea, will you please join our weekly party at
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

So cute and I just love your fabric choices and colors. Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow :)
-Trish @ Mom On Timeout
http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

Alida - Radcrafter said...

Thanks so much for sharing on Thingamajig Thursday!

Hope to see you again soon!

Alida
radcrafter.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY