Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Wednesday, 9 November 2011
As in I thought this would be easy.
Wrong.
yarn, wrapped, letter, yarn wrapped letter, tutorial, how to, how to make, diy, craft, pattern, word art

I have been admiring the various yarn wrapped words and letters out there, a current trend.
So I thought I would try it out as an excuse to use up some more of my yarn stash.
And be trendy (ok, really, I am so not trendy, but I can live with that!).

And it was hard!
Maybe because I had the letter 'R' with its odd angles and roundy bits?
Or because I decided to use up some 'thick and thin' handspun I have kept for a couple of years with no idea of how to use it?
Or maybe I just really stink at this craft.

Supplies:
All you need is a letter and some yarn.
A hot glue gun is always a good idea.

Simply glue down the tail of the yarn and start wrapping.
When the letter is done, stop wrapping and glue down the tail.
 Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Tips:
•  Change your kid's name to something that starts with a lowercase 'l'
•  Use a more uniform, finer yarn like worsted or DK weight
•  If you have a small opening like 'P' or 'R' you will need a small enough ball of yarn to fit through the opening (ask me how I know...)~ if you have a large ball or skein, simply wind off a smaller ball for this portion.
•  Use the glue gun on the back to aid with tricky corners and curves.
• PLAN how you will cover the letter, which parts need to be covered first in order to allow you to finish tidily and cover all areas without backtracking. I should have done this!
•  Did I mention, use the glue gun?!
•  Never ever trust a tutorial that has more tips than instructions. Just sayin'.

It wasn't that bad.
I probably would have ditched the whole thing, though, if not for the serendipitous discovery of some Spiral Blossoms (make your own HERE) in my unfinished work basket.
More hot glue and the finished project turned out not too badly after all.
While I was busy wrapping, Rowan created new collars for the dogs.
As she is reading over my shoulder as I type (she should be in bed), she asked that I share her craft as well.
Poor Murray is being a good sport in his new collar (1 part glitter, 1 part glue, 1 part fabric)~
Archie refused to be photographed.
Spoil sport.  ♥♥

4 comments:

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

It came out great even if it was a more difficult project than it might have seemed at first. I love the tip about having a small ball of yarn to go through the middle- that's totally something I would forget about and end up trying to jam this big ball of yarn through LOL.

Stephanie @ Artfully Craft said...

I'm in love with this idea! I can't wait to try it out because I have so many yarn-wrapped decorations in my room. I've always liked letters on the wall, but have a hard time fitting them in with my room decor.

What a brilliant idea! Once I try it out I will be linking to you in my blog. This is my first visit to your blog and I will definitely be back!

Lori @ Beneath the Rowan Tree said...

Thanks to you both!
Have fun!

L

Julienne said...

This is such a great website!! Great idea for the yarn wrapped letters. I've been meaning to do it since before my son was born. His name is Rowan too! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Sponsor :: Stoneware Pottery

Sponsor :: Handmade Women's Wear

Sponsor :: Handmade Jewelry

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY