Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Tuesday, 14 August 2012
I wonder if I'm growing
I wonder if I'm growing
My mom says yes I'm growing
But it's hard for me to see
My mom says eat your sandwich
It will make you grow up tall
But when I eat my sandwich
I'm hardly bigger at all.

And I wonder if I'm growing
I wonder if I'm growing
My mom says yes I'm growing
But it's hard for me to see
My mom says wash your hands now
Then you can go and play
Hey! I can reach the tap now
For the very first time today.
 
And I think I must be growing
Oh I know I'm really growing
My mom says yes I'm growing
And now I know it's true.
~Raffi, from 'Singable Songs for the Very Young' (1976)

Taking the stepstool out of the bathroom...  

That is, until they come to pass and you find yourself looking fondly at the banged up old stepstool that has been a fixture in your bathroom for the better part of 6 years.
That stool you had to shift just two inches to the left to access the hair 'pretties' in the drawer.
The one that holds the door open on a breezy day with the window open.
The place that Puppy (that beloved stuffed mutt) has perched in quiet companionship. 
The stage for endless plays and adventures for the bathtub horses.

{{What? You don't have bathtub horses? Rowan's sole bath toy for the past few years have been her collection of Schleich and other model horses... }}

I realized this summer that she doesn't need the stepstool any longer.
She can reach the taps.  
She can see in the mirror.
And if she stands on the stool, as she has since she began to toddle, she is too tall for me to do her hair.

So out it went.
I couldn't help feeling a little misty over all the times we have stood together in the bathroom.
Mama behind child, child on stool.
Before bed every night.
Getting ready for a special day.
Hair drying after a bath.
Nurturing when sick
Making silly faces, playing word games, teaching about not touching the electrical outlets, trying out hairdos, fighting over hairdos....

I never would have appreciated how much quality time was spent in those mundane daily routines if not for removing that old stool (that we have all stubbed toes on in the dark).
That stool which witnessed so much growing up and is now relegated to a corner because the child who needed it can do without it.
But the mama thinks she'll keep it around to remind her.

7 comments:

Alex cox said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

How precious. That stool will retain pride of place until she needs it for her child. A certain little yellow stool with a stenciled blue duck rested in my attic until the first grandchild and is still in use. God bless you. Regena in TN.

Lori Campbell said...

wonderful Regena! what a great story :)

Lauren @ Hobo Mama said...

Aw! That is so sweet. I agree it's those milestones that sneak up on you that can send a pang to the heart. But what wonderful memories you'll have every time you see that stool.

Playmobil Zoo said...

Nice poem,I can relate to this because I experience some lines of it and it remember my past year when I was a child.

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

Hi! Stopping in to invite you to join us at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/clever-chicks-blog-hop-6.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy
The Chicken Chick

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

Hi! Stopping in to invite you to join us at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/clever-chicks-blog-hop-6.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy
The Chicken Chick

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY