Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Wednesday, 6 February 2013
I have finally found the crochet love.

I'll admit, I have long been a sneerer at all things crochet... rough as a pot scrubber and in such questionable forms as toilet paper covering dolls, weird toy octopus heads, an unlikely teal blue poodle puppet in our puppet bin and the odd scratchy, holey afghan.
OK, the afghans always make me smile because I knew a lady who insisted that they were really called Afghanistans.

But then there is the long standing 'meh-ness' of my relationship with knitting.
Slow and repetitive are not my thing.
I love the fiber (switching to knitting with natural fibers revived my ten years dead knitting mojo) and the finished products, but generally by the time I finish them, my daughter has outgrown them!

Last winter I taught myself to crochet.
Well, learned on my own via the excellent video series at Crafty Minx.
And the spark was lit.

You make anything with this stuff!
And quickly!

In order to hone my skills, I set myself the task of creating an afghan (or Afghanistan if you prefer)~ using a variety of Granny Squares.  I highly recommend this process... it taught me to read patterns like a boss and was great stitch practice!

And then I made my daughter a unicorn for Valentine's Day...

And I made bunches of blooms for a birthday party...

A rainbow taco for the dog (veering perilously close to the tacky crochet of my former sneering)....

A dress for a Barbie doll (and long time readers will know I have a very tumultuous relationship with Barbie), which was practically like approving of her presence in our house. And I LIKED doing it.

And then I made ponchos.
Three of them (to my mother's horror as she reeled in some 70s flashback at the sight of them).
The slope is feeling a little slippery...

But a lovely cowl for myself preserved my cool crocheter status, at least that is what I am telling myself.

I am also in the midst of a scrap tshirt rug.
And the yarn hoard and tshirt hoard are slowly being diminished under my hook.
Yes.
Crochet is cool.
I ♥ crochet.
It's official.

4 comments:

Rachel~ At the Butterfly Ball said...

Oooh! I'd love to see some pictures of your creativity! And I agree, crochet is cool!

Nicola Baird said...

Glad to have you back on the web - and with a new skill! Nicola http://homemadekids.wordpress.com

EMMA said...

Sound like you have been very busy! would love to see some of your work.
I'm making a crochet ripple blanket at the moment!

Angela said...

Hmmm...I may just have to try this. It does sound like you can make just about anything! :) Would you like to take part in an online book discussion, we are reading the book, Heaven on Earth by Sharifa Oppenheimer. I'm seeking like-minded readers who want to participate. So far, only two of us. ;) sunnysweetlife.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Sponsor :: Bamboo Goodness

Sponsor :: Stoneware Pottery

Sponsor :: Handmade Women's Wear

Sponsor :: Handmade Jewelry

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!