Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Monday, 24 February 2014
With 9 days left in our Kickstarter campaign, we still have a long way to go!

At this point, we may not get there.
And that's OK!
In twenty years of ministry, and quite a few marketing a business, the reality is that many, many ideas will fail to launch. If they catch on and fly, wonderful! If not, you accept that the timing, the message, the project is not right for right now. And you try again with another idea or in another time.

Is it disappointing to see a heart dream flounder? Absolutely.
But it isn't the end.
And there is still time for this one to fly!

And here is why it matters to us....
I have been asked what happens if our project doesn't fund.
The answer is that we carry on creating beautiful, natural hand dyed toys in our new setting, working with the limited space and perhaps picking back up some older projects to fill the void planned for yarn. I am finished my job in June, regardless (yikes!).

I have also been asked about various other aspects which have lead to this project, and I am happy to be candid about them...
The last year has been one of deep soul searching.
The time has come for me to leave my current ministry position.
But we don't want to leave our community.
My partner, Andy, has started a new career as a long haul truck driver in the past year.  His work, and
the current income + potential from Beneath the Rowan Tree make it *just* possible for me to give
up my job.

Being in ministry, we have been living in church provided housing, as part of my salary package --  which is awesome, except that at 40 we own nothing, have no equity etc. -- buying a house (900 square feet, 90 years old) is an important step towards not eating cat food in retirement (thank you for that image, George Carlin!).

I have been working full time in ministry, full time at BTRT, single parenting in my husband's absence for work and homeschooling. I'm tired and can't maintain the pace and be a healthy, sane person. And given that I struggle, sometimes mightily, with PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder), the health and sanity bit is a close shave some days!

So for folks who have wondered why someone who is quitting her job and has a thriving business is 
crowd sourcing to bring their business onto a viable full time platform...This is why.
BTRT is what will allow these life changes to evolve.

And at the very innermost heart of it all are the needs of my daughter and the irrevocable call I feel to be the best parent I can be. Rowan is an amazing little girl and it is a joy to be her mother. It is also very challenging.  We know that Ro has Tourette's Syndrome, and with it anxiety and OCD. She has significant issues with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) and we are currently in the process of testing her cognitive and learning abilities. We know so far that she is gifted in several areas and showing difficulty in others.  All of this makes the world an intense, overwhelming place for our daughter (and her an intense child!). And it makes homeschooling a necessity (as supported by all of the professionals we work with).

Given that Rowan requires both extra help and extra challenges in learning, and that she is working in the Grade 3/4/5 levels (she is 8.5), and that just getting dressed is an insurmountable struggle some days, I need to be available to her as parent and teacher.

Building BTRT into a full time business while working from home is what my family needs at this stage.  Adding the yarn/studio will enable me to work smarter, rather than only harder, and will also enable the outreach into the community in terms of offering classes and creative space -- something about which I am passionate and committed.  As well as fostering the model of small businesses rooted in the community. For our customers, it means adding a new way to engage in and enjoy beautiful colours and natural fibers in their own families.

As I said, if the Kickstarter project doesn't fly, that is OK -- at the end of the day, I am making needful changes for simplifying and supporting our family life, and the rest will follow when the time is right.  I am changing things up and I am a big believer in following your bliss.

 I deeply appreciate the support we have received so far and it is exciting to 
have 35 people pledged as backers for this project! And I hope this answers some of the questions and wonderings about our project from the personal side of the matter. Or at least gives you a glimpse into our little world .


Regena Fickes said...

Stepping out on faith is always breathtaking. The both of you have your priorities in order and are to be commended. Your child has been given to you to complete your purpose in this life and you are 100% correct in putting your child at the top of the list. May God bless your endeavors and your family.I have tried to access the link to the campaign and have no luck. God bless.

Lori Campbell said...

Thank you, Regina. I appreciate your words. Breathtaking, exhilarating, terrifying, fulfilling... yes!
(I fixed the link, thanks for the heads up!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY