Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Wednesday, 24 September 2014
It's Waldorf Wednesday! Yay!
Autumn is here and these inspiring items capture the wonder of this beautiful, bittersweet season.
Each item is handmade by an Etsy artisan, inspired by the Waldorf tradition or coherent with its values, which lifts up the natural world and reflects it in natural materials. 

To the best of my knowledge, each of these toys has been crafted from natural materials by the artisan. You won't find any plastic, eco- or poly-felt (which are acrylic) or harmful finishes. Making these treasures safe for the kids, warm in their hands and biodegradable when their work is done.
1. Natural Wool Bowl, by A Mother's Garden.
2. Set of Four Autumn Fairies, by This Cosy Life. 
3. Set of Five Mushrooms, by Liga Kandele.
4. White Felt Pumpkins, by Ecamcho. 
5. Acorn Pendant Necklace, by Fairy Folk.
6. Wooden Pumpkin Gnome, by Honeybee Toy and Craft.
7. Autumn Tree and Owl, By Momnmee. 
 
Be sure to visit these shops (all chosen freely by me~ these are not advertisers~ that's how we roll around here!) AND to check out our years of Waldorf features here on the BTRT blog  (see the list of labels on the right hand side column) to connect with talented and conscientious artisans of wonder-full things! 
Enjoy ♥♥

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm only able to be an occasional visitor here, but this post is very timely for me. Last week I set up our first autumn nature table and found that I really had to think about it. When I think of autumn, I remember the season in my childhood, when the world was aflame with the oranges, reds, and yellows of maples, tulip poplars, dogwoods, sycamores, and a host of other deciduous plants and trees. I think about visits to the pumpkin farm and the apple cider that we would buy from a farmer's stand in the mountains. These things seem out of place here, though, where our only color change is the yellowing of the aspen leaves and the golden brown of the grasses that were only green for a couple of months. It didn't feel right to fill the nature table with felted pumpkins or even an orange playsilk. On a long drive I had to make one morning I looked around and tried to put a finger on what makes autumn different in this land that seems to have only two seasons: snow and not snow. Because I was really paying attention, I finally discovered that the differences are subtle. There's a bit more fog in the mornings and evenings. The grasses are golden but not yet covered in snow. The aspens are yellow, the skies are grey, and the sun is a very pale lemon. The snow is only a dusting. We see bears more often as they try to fortify themselves on forage for the upcoming hibernation. The waterfowl increase their numbers, coming here to winter in the warm waters that are fed by hot springs. I tried to reflect this in my choices: a mobile of yellow watercolor leaves, rocks and things collected on a walk, and an oil pastel landscape that I modeled after our environment, a visit from the autumn gnome. Being new to Waldorf concepts, I sometimes struggle with finding the balance between tradition and creating a real connection between my daughter and the natural world around us. I know that you live in an area that does have fall color, but also has snow for a large portion of the year. I'm curious as to how you find that balance when, for example, the early spring landscape has not really changed from winter. I tend to opt for a mirroring of the world outside our door rather than introducing green grasses and a riot of wildflowers when we'll have to wait for summer to see those things, but that means I am deviating from tradition. Any thoughts? I have found very little written about this sort of thing, and would love to know your perspective.

Much, much thanks,
Kim

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY