Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Wednesday, 6 May 2015
Over the winter, my mother found her childhood autograph book.
Do you remember those?

We'd exchange them at the end of summer camp, or the school year
~ getting signatures from all of our friends and favourite teachers?
"By hook or by crook, I'll be the last to write in your book" or my favourite,
"1 1 was a racehorse,
2 2 was 1 2
1 1 1 1 race
2 2 1 1 2".

Having found her book on December 16 (2014), she was touched to find within its pages a note~ from her very favourite (great) Aunt Rachel, written on December 16, 1961 when my mother was 9 years old. Rachel's home on the hill was one of my mother's beloved childhood haunts.
A spinster, Rachel is also remembered in our family as being the aunt with the beard.
Like a full on ZZ Top beard.
She figured that is the way God made her, so let it be!

Touched by Great Aunt Rachel's verse, in her familiar hand writing, my mom made a photocopy for each of us in the next generation. My first thought was that the verse was lovely, and worthy of stitching up.  Then it occurred to me that I could replicate Aunt Rachel's own hand!

I snatched up some natural cotton and gave it a good soak in some boiling tea (with salt) to create a more antique tone.  I enlarged the photocopy to the desired size and using my disappearing ink pen, I copied the text on to the cloth (having taped everything to my brightest window~ I don't have a lightbox).

{I prefer to use the disappearing ink, as I have found that some thread colours will run onto my canvas if I use the washable ink pen~ especially the red based colours.}

The letters were challenging, and I found, after several attempts as finding a stitch that worked for the handwriting, that a twisted backstitch did the trick.  The flowers I added freehand, choosing colours on the fly~ I didn't have a particular palette in mind, but I was trying to choose what might work in my mom's home, her kitchen is pear green with red and yellow, as well as what would suit the period of the original writing.

After a thorough steam pressing, careful not to flatten the flowers, I hooped the finished piece in a natural wood frame.  The photocopied verse was added to a piece of paper inserted into the back of the frame.

Now I just need to drop it in the mail!
Do you have any special words you would like to see finished in a loved one's hand?
My next project is a little note from my grandmother to me. ♥♥


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY