Join the Community

Follow Along

Never Miss a thing...

Enter your email address to be updated with new posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Honour the Child

Blog Archive

BTRT Patterns (on Etsy)

Saturday, 16 January 2016
Hey there!
Remember me?

It's been a while... but some big changes are brewing here at BTRT so stay tuned for more details... soon! Well, soonish because life.

I decided to jump on the Temperature Blanket bandwagon this January...
but while the idea is floating around in the ether, I couldn't find much in terms of the execution.
So I thought I would share how I am choosing to go about it, and you are welcome to use the info, adapt it, improve it!

What is a Temperature Blanket?
It isn't an electric blanket!
It is a conceptual knit/ crochet project.
Basically, you do one row a day, for every day of the year.
The colour of that row will depend on the colours you have chosen and assigned to specific temperature ranges. You create one row in the colour that matches the HIGH temp for the day.
At the end of the year, you will have a one of a kind blanket that reflects the temperature patterns for your specific location.
Colours, temps, design, size are all up to you!

Getting Started...
The first thing you need to do, is get a clear picture of the temperature range for your chosen location.
Here, in Northern Ontario, our temps can easily dip to -30C, however, our daily highs are more apt to be between -5C and -20C (not counting the windchill) during the daytime in deep winter. Our summer highs rarely go above 30C (not counting the humidex).
So my range is from -15C to +30C.

Then I took a peek at the average temps through the year.
(I used this website~ you can enter your specific location for yearly stats).
The statistics are drawn from the nearest weather station~ I know in our case the station is about 60 km away and we are at a significantly higher altitude so rarely have the same weather, but it got me started.

Tip! Take note of the most common temperatures... and make sure you assign a colour you like to that range, because you will see a lot of it!

If you need to catch up on temps from the first part of January, or at any time, you can grab the weather info from your nearest weather station HERE.

Using this data, I set up my temperature range and chose my colours (more on that in a moment!).
Choosing Your Yarn
I decided on 12 colours to reflect the variations for my area.
As I was on a very tight budget, I went with a bargain acrylic from Herrschners~ their 'Worsted 8' brand as it comes in a wide range of colours and is a sturdy workhorse yarn.  As an added bonus, it is fairly stiff before washing, which is very nice for keeping my crochet in line! I bought one ball of each (8 oz for $4 CAD woohoo!).
My colours, from bottom to top are:
Medium Gray
Glacier
Teal
Seaspray
Pale Orchid
Lavender
Sea Green
Leaf
Haystack
Posy
Raspberry
Salmon
(Note: upon arrival Glacier/ Teal are *very* close and Salmon is peachy).

Pattern
My biggest concern in figuring out how to make my blanket
was the fact that for 2016 there will be 357 rows!!
That is a lot of blanket!
I am choosing to crochet, but I may regret it when my blanket is the length of my house.

The Crochet Crowd offers a chart of average blanket/ throw sizes HERE.
And they have a pattern calculator HERE.

I'm not a calculator kind of gal, but I did decided to shoot for a twin size, with drape  (69 x 90") as my daughter tells me it has to be big enough for two people to snuggle under.

I suggest choosing your yarn, and work up the gauge in pattern, particularly row height, so that you can divide it by 357 and figure out the maximum row height to use (and change hook/needles accordingly).

I want a fairly tightly patterned blanket as I don't have space to waste on holes!
I'm making mine in Granny Stripes.

Here is an option from Attic24 with a pattern


And some eye candy at handmadeandhome.com

I highly suggest looking at a couple Granny Stripe patterns and choosing what suits you best,
my basic recipe is below. 


Here's what I'm doing:
Row Height 1/4"

Worsted weight
G Hook
Finished Size: 69 x 90"

Basic pattern is 3DC, skip two.
Making the 3DC in the sk2 space on the previous row.

So...

CH 250, slip stitch into 2 chain from hook, ch3, turn.
Make a foundation row~ mine was dc in every chain (this was for January 1st), turn ch3.
Proceed with 3dc, sk2 across, turn ch3.
And off you go, repeating this pattern row, changing colours for each day as needed.
We can talk finishing ideas come December!

Are you working on a Temperature Blanket?
I'd love to hear about it in the comments, as well as your tips and ideas! ♥♥


1 comments:

EMMA said...

This sound like so much fun, can't wait to see how this will unfold. If i didn't have way too many projects on the go at the moment I'd give this a go!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Inspiring Blog

Sponsor: Reggie's Dolls

Sponsor :: Inspiring Blog

Playsilk Primer

Join the Link Party!

Go Creative!

Supply Kit for Silk Fairy Mobile DIY

Supply Kit for Silk Dolly DIY